The 1,453-acre Rockwoods Range was acquired by the Conservation Department in 1943, thanks in large part to A.P. Greensfelder, who donated the land to preserve it in public ownership. Mr. Greensfelder was one of the first four people appointed to serve on the Conservation Commission.
Rockwoods Range lies in the Ozark border region, a broad transition zone where the Ozarks blend into eastern and northern regions. Ozark-like hills and hollows occur along the streams, but soils are often derived from loess (wind-blown soil) and are usually deeper and more fertile than those in the Ozarks. The ranges of many plants and animals overlap here.
The area is mostly forested, but glades and other natural communities also occur. Springs, limestone rock outcrops, and sinkholes are common on the area.
Rockwoods Range is accessible via the three multi-use trails or the Green Rock hiking trail. Scenic overlooks, woodland wildlife, and other interesting features are found along the trails, including a memorial where a uniquely designed round house that Greensfelder built as a summer cottage once stood.
The area supports good populations of deer, turkey, squirrels, raccoons, fox, and songbirds. Management of this area focuses on controlling invasive plants, reforesting old fields, and other practices to promote healthy wildlife habitat.