The Dr. Frederick Marshall Conservation Area is named for the original owner of this 168-acre farm in southwestern Platte County. It was donated by Mrs. Celia Miller Fitch, the great-granddaughter of Dr. Marshall in memorial to her grandfather in December 1999. Dr. Marshall was the first practicing physician in the Platte City area and was a well respected resident of Platte City (then Martinsville) from 1837 to 1861.
The area is located along North Farley Road approximately 2.5 miles north of Farley and three miles south of Highway 92. North Farley road provides the western boundary of the area with one-half mile of road frontage.
Elevations range from 760 feet along the Platte River to over 890 feet in the hills. The area includes bottomland and upland forests as well as prairie and savanna areas that are being restored.
The area is home to a variety of wildlife. Hunters can pursue rabbits, squirrel, quail, and turkey. Archers and muzzleloading firearm hunters will find fair numbers of deer on the area.
The diversity of natural communities present on the area provide excellent opportunities for bird watching, nature study, wildlife viewing, and outdoor photography.