In 1804, the Lewis and Clark Expedition passed two miles south of the area. Settlement here began on a large scale in 1826.
This region was part of the Platte Purchase, arranged by the U.S. government with the Indians in 1836. It was organized as Andrew County in 1841. At that time, about 20 percent of the county was in upland forest cover, mainly bur oak, white oak, red oak, black walnut, American elm, hickory, and basswood.
Along the rivers and streams, where the first settlement took place, the steeper slopes were in timber and the rounded knolls and ridgetops were either grassland or open timber with an understory of native grasses, mostly big and little bluestem and gamma grasses.
Honey Creek Conservation Area was purchased by the Department of Conservation in 1961, in part with funds derived through the Pittman-Robertson Wildlife Restoration Act, administered by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
Currently, farming and haying complement more intensive habitat development such as tree, shrub, and grass plantings, prescribed burning, discing, and timber management.
The area provides good fishing and camping opportunities along approximately 1.4 miles of Nodaway River frontage on the southwest corner of the area. Because of its large size and diversity of habitats, the Honey Creek Conservation Area is managed for multiple game and non-game wildlife species as well as numerous recreational uses.