Hadorn Bridge Access is on the One Hundred and Two River in Andrew County, northeast of Savannah.
First opened to exploration and settlement by the Lewis and Clark expedition in 1804, this area was part of the Platte Purchase, arranged by the government with the Indians in 1836. At that time about 20 percent of the country was in upland forest cover, consisting of mainly bur oak, white oak, red oak, black walnut, American elm, hickory, and basswood. Along rivers and streams, where early settlement took place, the steeper slopes were forested and the rounded knolls and ridgetops were either grassland or open timber with an understory of native grass, mostly big and little bluestem and gamma grasses.
The Conservation Department purchased the Hadorn Bridge Access property to preserve some of the habitats associated with the One Hundred and Two River and to provide public access and outdoor activities.
The area is managed for a variety of game and non-game wildlife species and is available to the public for a wide range of outdoor activities compatible with resource management. The area's open fields are managed with farming, haying, and prescribed burning, which compliment habitat developments, such as tree, shrub, and grass plantings, as well as wetland and timber management.