Drury-Mincy Conservation Area is in southern Taney County, southeast of Branson, off of Route J. The area, located in the heart of the White River glade region, was the Conservation Department's first deer refuge.
The area is named for early landowner Frank Drury and the settlement of Mincy. The Commission leased the land in 1939, then purchased it in 1987. At present, the area is comprised of 5,599 acres which includes a portion of Bull Shoals Lake managed lands.
By the turn of the century, deer numbers had dwindled to the point that Missouri could claim only 14 herds. One of these lived in the Drury-Mincy area.
The area was purchased by a private landowner in 1929, who worked with the Department to increase deer numbers. From 1939 through 1959, Drury-Mincy deer were successfully used to restore populations statewide. The Drury-Mincy area, one of three areas that supported flocks of native wild turkeys, provided 300 turkeys for statewide restoration projects during the 1960s.
Bluestem glades and post oak savannas dominated the rolling hills. Mincy, Fox, and Bee creeks meander through stands of wild cane on their way to Bull Shoals Lake. Purple beardtongue, fringetree, and Ashe juniper are among the unusual plants found on the area.